Monday, June 18, 2012

Teaching Dynasties

It was several months after the arrival of our new principal that I realized that his name matched the plaque on the wall of our school commemorating its opening. My current principal's father was the superintendent at the time our school began, which made my principal's appointment to our specific location extra special for his father (so happy belated Father's Day to him and all other fathers and father-figures!).

It made me realize how many families I know for which education is the family profession. I know of many husband-and-wife combination in which both are teachers, but I also know of many others in which both parents are teachers and siblings are in the education field as well. I was going to type that I wasn't a part of a long line of teachers, but then I realized that both my mother-in-law and sister-in-law are teachers.

What are the pros and cons of having teaching as the family business? As far as I know, this has never been studied and all my points are unscientifically generated from my biased imagination.

Good Things
  • family can understand what you are going through (e.g. report card writing, concerts, etc.)
  • contacts can help you get your foot in the door for a job (networking)
  • relatives can share resources and tips
Bad Things
  • family might not consider/value other job options
  • contacts can help you get your foot in the door for a job (nepotism)
  • individuals may have a sense of entitlement
I'm sure I'm missing several points. I shared my list with my husband, who commented that dynasties of any sort aren't healthy, be they political or educational. Is there a dynasty-in-the-making at my house? I don't know what my own children wish to be. Actually, let me correct that statement. I just asked my daughter, who said she wasn't sure but was leaning toward becoming an author. My son told my husband the other day he wants to be either a video game designer or a comic book writer. Did I mention that their father is a writer? I guess it's only natural for children to emulate their parents (at least when they aren't making choices diametrically opposed to their parents). 

Oh, and even though this has NOTHING to do with today's topic, as promised, here is a shot of my version of Effie Trinket from The Hunger Games. File this under "the crazy things some teachers will do".


No comments:

Post a Comment