Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Here are the links - now where's the difference?

As promised, here are the links to the recent newscasts on school libraries in which I've played a part. I will put them also on my personal wiki, found at http://mzmollyTLsharespace.pbworks.com

I'll do it "n00b style" as well as more fashionably embedded ... right here is the Global TV spot on school libraries.

The actual link is:
http://www.globaltoronto.com/video/index.html?releasePID=CKa14mBIA1NNHK7fqR2ODqpzBLlKkaeq

Over here is the CBC report on The National that featured my students.

The actual link is:
http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/News/TV_Shows/The_National/1233408557/ID=1923643789

My husband phoned my father yesterday to alert him to my appearance. He phoned me afterwards to tell me a) that I looked both "like a movie star" and "very professional" on screen and that he was so proud, and b) how ludicrous it was that some schools were closing their libraries.

Reactions to the TV spots have been similar to those of my father. One of our kindergarten students went up to his teacher today and said "Mrs. K, I have good news and bad news to tell you." As she recounted to me, she asked for the bad news first and he replied, "The bad news is, they are closing some libraries. The good news is, Mrs Mali was on television!"

I'm pleased that so many people, both in and outside the field of education, are bothered and upset by the cuts to school libraries. It gives me hope. The media exposure will bring the issue to the forefront. What I hope to see, both short-term and long-term, are positive changes to support school library programs and personnel. If there's no difference as a result of these stories and reports, if the outrage felt doesn't translate into action, then it is (to paraphrase Lady Macbeth) "a tale told by idealists, signifying nothing".

No comments:

Post a Comment